Thanks to the winding rural roads and mountainous terrain, West Virginia reports one of the highest numbers of traffic accidents in the US. And if you’ve ever been in an car accident, you’d know what a traumatic experience it can be.
Now, imagine that the collision with your car wasn’t just a similar-sized passenger vehicle—imagine instead an 80,000 pound semi-truck with a trailer full of cargo barreling down onto your car. Pretty scary, right?
Large commercial vehicles like semi trucks, tractor-trailers, delivery vans, and dump trucks can cause catastrophic damage in a collision with a regular passenger car, and unfortunately many people don’t survive such an accident. Those who do are often permanently disabled or live with pain, reduced mobility, and other physical and limitations.
While an attorney can’t bring back your loved ones, we can fight to get you monetary damages to cover medical bills and lost wages, and compensate you for your losses.
This is why it’s best to find a West Virginia truck accident lawyer who will look after your interests and fight your case until the end.
Here is how you can choose the ideal lawyer for your case.
What does a West Virginia Truck Accident Lawyer Do?
A truck accident lawyer is a type of personal injury lawyer specializing in big commercial vehicle wrecks. A personal injury lawyer provides legal representation to plaintiffs who are “alleging physical or psychological injury as the result of the negligent or careless acts of another person, entity, or organization.”
Simply put, we help people who have been injured in accidents get money to help compensate for the physical, emotional, and financial damages they sustained due to the accident. A victim suffering from an injury will need this reimbursement to pay for medical treatment, provide compensation for pain, and make up for lost salaries/wages.
Now that you know what exactly a personal injury lawyer does, let’s take a look at how you can pick the perfect West Virginia truck accident lawyer:
How to Choose the Best West Virginia Truck Accident Lawyer
There are several factors to consider when finding the right attorney for your specific situation:
- Reviews & Ratings: Generally speaking, the better the reputation of the lawyer, the more competent they will likely be. So check out their ratings and reviews online to see what past clients have said about them. This isn’t a hard and fast rule, however—some attorneys will pad their online reviews with people who are not actual clients, and we all know that there are online “trolls” out there who like to tarnish the reputations of excellent businesses, so take both good and bad reviews with a grain of salt, and follow up by talking to the attorney yourself.
- Experience: More experience often means more knowledge. A West Virginia truck accident lawyer with several years of experience under their belt will oftentimes be more comfortable with procedures and know things that a relatively inexperienced lawyer simply hasn’t had the opportunity to learn. Look for an attorney with at least 2 years successfully working in personal injury, and specifically with large commercial vehicle accident cases.
- Case Results: At the end of the day, the most critical factor is simply this: can they deliver results? Search for a firm that consistently provide successful results in similar cases.
What to Ask a West Virginia Truck Accident Lawyer
Once you have searched for and vetted several attorneys online, schedule an initial (free) consultation with your top choices and ask as many questions as you want to see if they are a good fit. Here are a few things you should consider asking:
- What are your charges? What is your payment structure?
- What are my expenses?
- How much do you think my claim is worth?
- How many years have you been in practice?
- How many personal injury cases have you taken on? What percentage were successful?
- How much experience do you have with cases like mine?
- Do I have other options besides filing a lawsuit?
- What types of resources do you use if the case goes to trial?
- Will you handle this case yourself?
- What is my case’s statute of limitations?
Make the Right Choice.
At Mountain State Law, we have spent years helping families of victims get compensation for the losses and damages they have sustained due to someone else’s actions. We know that no amount of money can replace a loved one lost in a terrible accident like a collision with a commercial vehicle, but we will fight to make sure you receive the maximum amount of compensation available so you can move on with your life and truly begin the healing process.
If you’re looking for a West Virginia truck accident lawyer who will work hard to get you the best outcome possible, schedule a free consultation today!